The Singapore Armed Forces will have access to military training areas located at the Townsville Field Training Area and the Shoalwater Bay Training Area, bringing 14,000 soldiers for up to 18 weeks of the year.
A ‘Memorandum of Understanding Concerning Military Training and Training Area Development in Australia’ was signed in October 2016 which will be in effect for 25 years.
It is estimated that $2.25B will be invested in the Townsville and Rockhampton regions from 2016 to 2026. This capital infrastructure will supply vast opportunities to local suppliers and contractors. Townsville Enterprise has been instrumental in establishing the Singapore Economic Development Advisory Committee (SEDAC) to ensure Townsville receives the greatest benefit from the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership (CSP).
Townsville Enterprise would also like to emphasise the importance of this partnership in developing the future economy of the region. As conscripted Singaporean soldiers are the future business leaders and traders of the nation state, their presence in Townsville means that the Townsville community and business owners must take a strategic approach and position themselves as offering attractive investment opportunities.
- 29 June 2016 - Australia and Singapore signed a Joint Declaration on the CSP
- October 2016 - Defence Ministers of Australia and Singapore sign Memorandum of Understanding on the training area access and joint development initiative
- 14 October 2016 - Defence Minister Hon Marise Payne appointed a Federal Government Liaison Officer, providing North Queensland business community a direct point of contact regarding the project
- 27 October 2016 - Singapore Partnership round table discussion held to discuss scope of activity and the business and master plans
- 19 December 2016 - Singapore Economic Development Advisory Committee (SEDAC) established to strengthen Singapore opportunities
- 2019 - Commencement of construction of capital facilities expected to commence
- 2020/21- Significantly increased Singapore Armed Forces presence anticipated
- 2026 - Anticipated completion of capital facilities construction