North and Northwest Queensland Sustainable Resource Feasibility Studies
North and Northwest Queensland has an abundance of natural resources, arable lands, growing population base and close proximity to Asia, positioning it well to contribute to Australia’s economic prosperity in the future. However, concerns have been raised by some parties that future growth in the region is impeded by lack of access to a reliable and affordable supply of base load energy and limited information on the suitability of land for intensified irrigated agricultural development.
Access to a reliable and affordable supply of energy is widely considered to be a critical element to the ongoing development and expansion of Australia’s vibrant economy. Similarly, agriculture has played a significant role in the development of Australia and Northwest Queensland, and further opportunities may exist to expand and diversify the industry. The North and Northwest Queensland Sustainable Resource Feasibility Studies aim to inform the continued expansion and development of the region’s natural resource, agricultural and renewable energy industries. The studies will investigate:
- The feasibility of establishing additional base-load power generation capacity in the northwest region;
- A high-voltage transmission line within the north and northwest Queensland regions to connect any new base-load power station to the National Electricity Market (NEM), which may also enable the development of renewable energy projects across northern Queensland; and
- An irrigated agriculture precinct in the Pentland/Hughenden region, to sustain new cropping opportunities, with a specific emphasis on sugar production and associated processing facilities to support economic development and growth in the long term.
In early September 2013 the Selection Committee selected a successful tenderer to undertake the North and Northwest Queensland Sustainable Resource Feasibility Studies.
The successful group is a consortium of well respected, specialist groups:
This work was awarded via a competitive tender process in accordance with best-practice standards and Government guidelines. A number of the submissions received were impressive. We have shortlisted, held face to face presentations, assessed and scored tenderers, negotiated a conditional offer and gained a good value for money outcome. We remain on schedule to achieve the target completion date of 31 December 2013, with the successful consortium clearly understanding the objective of this work is a tangible pathway towards investment in infrastructure in North and Northwest Queensland to propel economic development.
Public Announcements of the Project
- Hon Bob Katter MP
- North and Northwest Queensland Sustainable Resources Feasibility Studies - Full Report
- North and Northwest Queensland Sustainable Resource Feasibility Studies - Summary Document
We are working with a number of key stakeholders to deliver value for money and a sustainable economic development outcome for the region from the studies.
- Australian Government
- Queensland Government
- Guildford Coal
- Mackay Sugar
- Regional Development Australia
- Townsville City Council
- Charters Towers Regional Council
- Flinders Shire Council
Should you wish to be involved or to discuss, please contact